PDA

View Full Version : The family and I are

Vegastrojan
12-07-2004, 12:59 PM
staying in San Fran at the Monarch Hotel!

1 Block from Union Square(Cable Cars). Seems like a nice place.

Where is everybody staying in San Fran?

Trojan by Birth
12-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Our group (about 8)is staying at the Sharaton at Fisherman's Wharf... About a half a mile from you. We will definately be out your way for some shopping. I will have to fight to keep my wife out of Tiffany and Co. and all the other places no self respecting redneck should ever visit.

TSUfaninCALI
12-07-2004, 03:02 PM
I hate to break it to you by Birth, but Fishermans Wharf is two to three miles of nasty hills away from Union Square. Easy bus ride, but the cable car takes forever and is always crowded. And the bus system cost $1.25 per person to ride all day.

BMarkey
12-07-2004, 03:32 PM
TSUBaggs and at least three other Trojans from Central and South Florida are staying at the Mariott in San Jose, supposedly a five-minute walk from the stadium.

It's new (2003), nice and we're getting am employee discount ranging from $49 to $79 per night for $189 rooms. Yeah!

Now if I could find some great airfares...

Trojan by Birth
12-07-2004, 03:40 PM
I hate to break it to you by Birth, but Fishermans Wharf is two to three miles of nasty hills away from Union Square. Easy bus ride, but the cable car takes forever and is always crowded. And the bus system cost $1.25 per person to ride all day.
I was going by what Mapquest showed. But while I have your attention.... is Grant avenue walkable? I was going to walk China Town from Broadway to Bush, and then over to Union Square for shopping etc. If that is doable, then what is the best way from there to get to Haight and Ashbury?

Pcbtrojan
12-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Its walkable but the main tourist areas of Grant are near California St (one of the cable car lines)back towards the south which would be towards Union Square. The China Gate is at the southern end of Grant near wher the old SF Giants gift shop used to be. It is a bit of a hike but not too bad. Wouldn't advise it at night especially the northern end of grant near Broadway. Stay away from Broadway at night. I used to manage a service company and spent most of the time in the city from 5pm to 4 am. Its difinately a treat after dark! :shock:
Haight Ashbury- Take Geary St to Van Ness then south to Fell St then west to Masonic Avenue. The public park between Oak & Fell Street (called the panhandle) should look familiar cause it is where most of the hippies hung out. Haight St crosses Masonic. (The ORIGINAL NUTCASE CENTRAL!) Take Oak St back to Market street and go north on either Scott or Steiner St. That will put you at Alamo Square, one of the most photographed places is the US. Have fun! SF is one the most beautiful cities in the US. Its not all about the limpwrists & wackos! 8)

TUTrojan
12-07-2004, 05:11 PM
They will spot a tourist with money from a mile away. They will find 1,000,000 ways to scam you. Be careful in certain areas like around Market Street. Hopefully it has changed since I was there.

I stayed at that Marriot at Fisherman's wharf for a night. I don't remember much about it except for the huge billboard of J LO that was right outside of my window looking in on me.

If you find yourself driving, you might want to hone your skills on Grand Theft Auto before you hit SF. Things move a little faster than on the square in downtown Troy at lunch time.

TSUfaninCALI
12-08-2004, 03:23 AM
Look guys,
I will just out and let you know, there is no parking anywhere in SF and if you leave the Embarcadero (Fishermans wharf, etc.) the hills are nasty and truly not walkable. If you do find parking, it will cost you $3-5 for the first fraction of an hour and the same for every hour after that. As I stated before, ride the Muni. Your hotel will have Muni maps and the front desk clerk should be able to help you get comfortable with it. It is a little confusing at first. Take the bus to Union Square and meet up with Vagas and take a bus up Market to Haight, switch buses at Haight and take that bus all the way to the end of Haight, there is a big Savefoods or something like that there. Get off and walk back toward Market on Haight and you and in the Haight Ashbury district, when you have your fill of Hippies and free love, just stop at a bus stop and the other side and jump back on and get the hell out of there. Might I suggest Ameoba records right where you get off the bus, the greatest record store in the world. Also, you can take the bus across the golden gate and keep from paying the $5 toll each way, It will give you the option of getting off on the north side and hanging out there, or walking back across, or just waiting for another bus to pick you up. They run that route about every 20 min or so. The only SF landmark you cannot due by bus is Lumbard Street (the most crooked road in the world) the bus can't make it down the street. Drive it yourself just head south from your hotel until you hit Lumbard street take the left and head up the hill. It is a great thrill. Any other questions fell free to ask, or email me guys at cupidRBF@yahoo.com