PDA

View Full Version : Campus Fraternity Sued

FliryVorru
05-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Some lady is suing Pi Kappa Phi (for seven figures, nonetheless) for "noise harassment" over the last two years that led to her having to move away.

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=8374073

This is the same fraternity that was sued twice for killing a pledge via alcohol poisoning in the early part of the decade. I did a Google search and got almost a thousand results for "Pi Kappa Phi" and "lawsuit" so the whole lawsuit thing doesn't seem to be a new thing for them.

http://www.illinimedia.com/di/aug01/aug31/news/printer/campus01-printer.shtml - In 2001 at Chico State University. The family won 500k in the judgment.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/124110_fraternity29.html - At the University of Washington in 2002.

jt45
05-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Every national fraternity has very good, very well-paid lawyers on staff that are paid to get their organization out of lawsuits like this.

Hector
05-27-2008, 08:08 AM
Every national fraternity has very good, very well-paid lawyers on staff that are paid to get their organization out of lawsuits like this.

Yes, indeed. However, make no mistake about this. Those high-priced lawyers don't come cheap, nor do they come for free. Whether a judgement is renedered or not, the defendants (members of the Troy chapter) will all share the cost of those lawyers, plus the cost of their insurance will skyrocket. All of their collective wallets will be lightened as a result of incidents like these.

TU/JSU Fan
05-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Goodness.. This gives me an idea to sue the kids that live a few houses down that party all the time.. They mentally abuse me too..

Seriously.. This is hilarious to me. I am assuming that the fraternity houses have been in the same spot for a long time... Which leads me to believe that she bought this house near a fraternity house knowing that a fraternity house was right there. Did she not think that they would party? I mean.. The house 3 houses down from me isn't even a fraternity house and they party every single week.

This just seems frivolous to me and if she wins 5 cents it will be to much.

FHBrian
05-27-2008, 08:32 AM
That house has only been there for less than 5 years. They used to be on 3 Notch and then had no house for a little while. I heard that a alumni either gave them those apartments or bought them for them. Not sure if that is true but they have not been at that location for very long.

FliryVorru
05-27-2008, 10:57 AM
That house has only been there for less than 5 years. They used to be on 3 Notch and then had no house for a little while. I heard that a alumni either gave them those apartments or bought them for them. Not sure if that is true but they have not been at that location for very long.

They started fund raising for the money to build a frat house about the time I got to Troy in 2003. They got a lot more than they expected, went through the process with some help of alumni, and built that small apartment complex through the help of their alumni.

It's been standing since late 2005/early 2006, I can't remember exactly.

Burn the Horse
05-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Well the apartments themselves have been there long before Pi Kapp moved in. They built the "party barn" with the money raised. They have a billboard out infront of the apartments that shows an artist rendering of the house they are planning to build in that location.

As for the lawsuit's legitimacy, I can't comment on that. I don't know the details other than those that were published.

jt45
05-27-2008, 11:12 AM
The bad news about that is the effect is residual across all fraternities around that country that are involved with the same insurance company. If one screws up, they all get punished by rising insurance costs.

At least that is true with my organization.

trojanred
05-27-2008, 01:45 PM
The bad news about that is the effect is residual across all fraternities around that country that are involved with the same insurance company. If one screws up, they all get punished by rising insurance costs.

At least that is true with my organization.

I think it depends on the conglomerate of organizations in the insurance policy. I know our national fraternity tries to have arrangements where the groups responsible for the suits pay the majority of the rising costs. It is an attempt to "reward" the groups avoiding or in some cases lucking out of lawsuits. The country has gone sue-happy and there is no doubt about that. Considering the more serious lawsuits out there this one is ridiculous. If I remember correctly the neighborhood behind that apartment complex isn't the quietiest or nicest to begin with. It strikes me as a money-grubber trying to work the system.

SOTS_tuba
05-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Had an article about this in their second to last issue or something like that. In it her landlord said he told her that there was a frat house right next to the place she was renting before she moved in. She was renting one of log cabins next to the Pi Kappa Phi, and had renewed her lease for a second year before she filed the suit. I'm not so sure if she'll get a whole lot from this since her landlord will say he told her before she moved in it was there and she renewed her lease so obviously it wasn't bad enough to make her move.
I saw a for rent sign in front of those cabins when I was house hunting this year but ignored it because I knew it was next to a frat house. If you think you can move in next to a frat house and not be bothered by parties or noise then your naive, or looking for "free" money, she's prob hoping that they will settle out of court.

trojanred
05-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Had an article about this in their second to last issue or something like that. In it her landlord said he told her that there was a frat house right next to the place she was renting before she moved in. She was renting one of log cabins next to the Pi Kappa Phi, and had renewed her lease for a second year before she filed the suit. I'm not so sure if she'll get a whole lot from this since her landlord will say he told her before she moved in it was there and she renewed her lease so obviously it wasn't bad enough to make her move.
I saw a for rent sign in front of those cabins when I was house hunting this year but ignored it because I knew it was next to a frat house. If you think you can move in next to a frat house and not be bothered by parties or noise then your naive, or looking for "free" money, she's prob hoping that they will settle out of court.

That sounds like the scenario I thought. Sometimes I wonder about these kinds of people. Are they stupid or do they just think everone else is dumb enough to fall for this crap? If those are the facts with the landlord then her case should get tossed out of court in 10 seconds.