PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Mighty Trojan Death Machine CFL Player? Clifford Ivory

WeSuck.com
05-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Was All-CFL and one of Toronto's most popular players.
http://www.canoe.ca/Argos/News/2005/02/22/Ivoryhead200x252.jpg

http://www.argonauts.ca/Argos/News/2005/02/22/939003.html

Lion24
05-27-2008, 08:20 PM
He was a very good defensive back for the Argos, who have had many good ones the past few years. The DB's have to be very good in the CFL as they have a lot more field to cover and the receivers are allowed in motion prior to the snap up here so they can basically get a running start before the snap of the ball and there is often controversy if receivers are cheating a little over the line of scrimmage just before the snap of the ball.

Lion24
05-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Here is a story for Troy fans on Ivory as he was coaching a Canadian University team..............http://www.yorku.ca/ylife/2007/08-Aug/08-27/ivory-082707.htm

Burn the Horse
05-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Hey Lions24, do Canadian universities have college level CFL style football programs?

Lion24
05-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Hey Lions24, do Canadian universities have college level CFL style football programs?

It is the same style of football, the rules and everything if that is what you are asking? It is not even close to the size and popularity in the States obviously but there are some very good players that come out of Canadian Universities. Actually, the Lions have some of the best Canadian talent in the League. The one position that they don't produce players is at QB and it has been almost 100% import (American) at QB. Hockey is the big thing still in Canada but the CFL and NFL are growing more an more in Canada each year and I personally would watch any kind of football over hockey any day.

Burn the Horse
05-28-2008, 11:44 AM
*gasp* You don't like hockey? I thought they euthanized children who don't perform well with a puck up there? :P

I hear the Buffalo Bills are going to be playing a few games in Canada this year. If you can make it, go! A big name Troy player (CB Leodis McKelvin) was their first draft pick so he'll be on the field.

Rette
05-28-2008, 04:23 PM
I think I have seen some of the CFL's games on in passing. But, I have never paid that much attention to it. Does anyone know which Network carries the CFL??

FWB Trojan
05-28-2008, 04:56 PM
I have seen CFL games on CST, which is Cox Sports Television, for those of you that have Cox Communications in the panhandle of Florida.

Lion24
05-28-2008, 05:58 PM
*gasp* You don't like hockey? I thought they euthanized children who don't perform well with a puck up there? :P

I hear the Buffalo Bills are going to be playing a few games in Canada this year. If you can make it, go! A big name Troy player (CB Leodis McKelvin) was their first draft pick so he'll be on the field.

The funny thing is in the past few years the NFL has seemed to open up offensively while up here the defences have seemed to be getting stronger even on the bigger field. The CFL is a really good game and it is different than the NFL but I like both leagues just as much. It has been around for many years, we are going on to Grey Cup 96 this season. There actually was a failed expansion attempt into the US in the mid 90's with teams in Baltimore, Birmingham, Sacramento, Memphis, Las Vegas, Shreveport but the only place there was interest was Baltimore and there are still fans that come to Grey Cups from Baltimore. There does look like some NFL interest in Toronto, I just hope both the CFL and NFL can coexist as both games are different and very exciting.

As far as hockey, I did play competitively growing up but I just got more involved in baseball and football and enjoyed them much more. I still watch but not as religiously as NFL and CFL. I was probably spoiled as I live in Edmonton where the Oilers won a bunch of Stanley Cups in the mid 80's with Gretzky, Messier etc. and the skill has gone away a bit now and it is more of a "dump and chase" game.

Burn the Horse
05-28-2008, 06:15 PM
While I don't remember the Birmingham CFL team, I do know of it. I wish it was still around, I would definitly be a season ticket holder. If you ask me, the CFL should have kept its expansion in the border states. I hope the CFL tries a second expansion, but sticks to my idea, I think they could do well in Minnosota, Washington, Michigan, etc etc. The problem I'd see is the 80/20 rule in effect up there. American teams would be all American, and that would screw up the mandatory rule the Canadian teams have in place.

Trojan1998
05-28-2008, 06:22 PM
The funny thing is in the past few years the NFL has seemed to open up offensively while up here the defences have seemed to be getting stronger even on the bigger field. The CFL is a really good game and it is different than the NFL but I like both leagues just as much. It has been around for many years, we are going on to Grey Cup 96 this season. There actually was a failed expansion attempt into the US in the mid 90's with teams in Baltimore, Birmingham, Sacramento, Memphis, Las Vegas, Shreveport but the only place there was interest was Baltimore and there are still fans that come to Grey Cups from Baltimore. There does look like some NFL interest in Toronto, I just hope both the CFL and NFL can coexist as both games are different and very exciting.

As far as hockey, I did play competitively growing up but I just got more involved in baseball and football and enjoyed them much more. I still watch but not as religiously as NFL and CFL. I was probably spoiled as I live in Edmonton where the Oilers won a bunch of Stanley Cups in the mid 80's with Gretzky, Messier etc. and the skill has gone away a bit now and it is more of a "dump and chase" game.

I remember the CFL's United States experiment really well; this was in 1995 when I was in college at Troy. Matt Dunigan (my favorite all-time CFL player) played for BammerHam. Attendance was horrible - AISA football games draw larger crowds than what showed up at Legion Field to watch the 'Cudas.