PDA

View Full Version : North Texas Game Flights $69 one way

Rette
04-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Flights are now available from Birmingham to Dallas DFW on American for $66 one way. It is my understanding that Denton is about 30 miles away.

American Airlines (http://www.aa.com/index_us.jhtml)

TU Rob
04-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Anyone have any idea of what time kickoff is going to be? Both schools have it listed as TBA still. Looks like the flight that gets there at 1:10 PM would be great if there was a 2:30 or later kickoff time. In fact, 2:30 would be perfect. Arrive at 1:10, get your rental car and drive to the game. Game is over approximately 5:30, drive back to the airport and fly out on the 7:05 flight. No baggage to check, so you wouldn't have to worry about getting there incredibly early.

Rette
04-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Anyone have any idea of what time kickoff is going to be? Both schools have it listed as TBA still. Looks like the flight that gets there at 1:10 PM would be great if there was a 2:30 or later kickoff time. In fact, 2:30 would be perfect. Arrive at 1:10, get your rental car and drive to the game. Game is over approximately 5:30, drive back to the airport and fly out on the 7:05 flight. No baggage to check, so you wouldn't have to worry about getting there incredibly early.

Good point! It looks like to me that the total cost would be about $200 and only take one day. It would just be a tight, but doable schedule. Add another $75 to $100 for a room and fly back Sunday.

TU Rob
04-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Good point! It looks like to me that the total cost would be about $200 and only take one day.

Price for roundtrip airfare for 2 - $312
Rental car - $40 for a standard car

$352 total.

Navarre Trojan
04-22-2008, 04:17 PM
from Love Field in DOWNTOWN DALLAS to Denton will take much longer than 30-45 minutes. It will take you that long to drive out of Dallas. It is 37 miles (according to google) and the good thing about N. Tex, the stadium is right off of I-35, so you can get there pretty easily. The problem will be Dallas traffic, and you never know (see Atlanta traffic). I would allow at least 1.5 hours from landing until arrival in Denton.

Now, what about catching the 'Red Eye" back? Dallas is a GREAT TOWN to 'beverage one self' if you have no where else to go. Great resturants, great night life, great sports town, period.

I wish we had Southwest!!! Airtran into DFW is around $180 round-trip from P'cola, so, not so bad...

TU Rob
04-22-2008, 04:30 PM
from Love Field in DOWNTOWN DALLAS to Denton will take much longer than 30-45 minutes. It will take you that long to drive out of Dallas. It is 37 miles (according to google) and the good thing about N. Tex, the stadium is right off of I-35, so you can get there pretty easily. The problem will be Dallas traffic, and you never know (see Atlanta traffic). I would allow at least 1.5 hours from landing until arrival in Denton.

Even on a Saturday? I could understand during the week if you landed mid-day with all the usual work traffic, but I wouldn't think it would take that long on mid-day on Saturday. From google, it looks like the airport is right by the interstate. Should be as easy as renting a car (Which I would do in advance) and hopping on the interstate. Maybe an hour tops, but not 1.5.

Navarre Trojan
04-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Even on a Saturday? I could understand during the week if you landed mid-day with all the usual work traffic, but I wouldn't think it would take that long on mid-day on Saturday. From google, it looks like the airport is right by the interstate. Should be as easy as renting a car (Which I would do in advance) and hopping on the interstate. Maybe an hour tops, but not 1.5.

Love Field? Downtown Dallas is not an easy place to get out of, even on Saturday - mid day. I would certainly allow myself an hour and a half to get out of Dallas, to Denton, to park and get into the game. If you flew into DFW (northwest side of Dallas) you would be much, much closer to Denton. Only 27 miles, but much, much easier to get to Denton from there.

Rette
04-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Love Field? Downtown Dallas is not an easy place to get out of, even on Saturday - mid day. I would certainly allow myself an hour and a half to get out of Dallas, to Denton, to park and get into the game. If you flew into DFW (northwest side of Dallas) you would be much, much closer to Denton. Only 27 miles, but much, much easier to get to Denton from there.

Rand McNally list the trip from Love (DAL) to Denton as a 36 mile 50 min trip. It looks like you would probably not make it to kickoff if you arrived at Love at 1:10 pm. Thanks for the info Navarre Trojan!

Rette
04-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Assuming a early evening game (2:30 pm) you could make it a one day affair. Leave Birmingham at 7:15 am and arrive at Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) at 9:10 am. Then depart from DFW at 7:30pm and arrive at 9:10pm. These rate are good from Thursday 10/23 to Sunday 10/26. Check it out!!

American Airline (https://www.aa.com/aa/reservation/breadCrumbOptionsSubmit.do?breadCrumb=startOver&bookingPathStateId=1209418389311-43&fromSearchPage=true)